The Great Talbot O'Farrell

*One of Music Makes Me's Most Popular Posts*

Having mentioned Holiday in the last post, I realise the singer who most bears comparison with the faux-Irish (he was Yorkshire-born) tenor and music hall performer Talbot O'Farrell is Lady Day herself.

Although working in very different contexts, both had voices that may not have been rangy or classically trained, both amply compensated for this with phrasing, control of diction and a knack for wringing real emotion out of the popular songs of their day.



I apologise for the very scratchy (but sublime) When Your Hair has Turned to Silver, but O'Farrell sings a version as definitive as can be imagined. If you know of a cleaner version, please point me towards it!



Dear Little Irish Mother

Fat Men Are Wonderful

The Wedding of Maggie Malone

This Is Heaven

When Your Hair Has Turned to Silver

*One of Music Makes Me's Most Popular Posts*

2 comments:

nick said...

Very well, here goes. I don't Twitter,comment or Facebook. In fact I have nothing whatsoever to say about this site or the music contained therein. However a parachutist to be said, if that is how I felt then that is what I should write.
Love to you all and check out that weird piano playing on the Coltrane. Better still check out Mr Knight on Coltrane Plays The Blues.
H.

Anonymous said...

ive got a talbot o farrell 10 inch 78 "go to bed with a smile" coupled with when a pal bids a pal goodbye" if your interested